You will need to comply with this Code of Practice if you intend to be responsible for the welfare of ostriches.
Good welfare of farmed ostriches ensures that ostriches cope well within their environment and that factors such as growth, reproductive performance, disease levels, injuries and death rates are within industry standards.
The code prescribes standards to ensure that farmed ostriches have:
- appropriate and sufficient food and water to sustain health and vitality
- sufficient area to maintain their well being and to exhibit normal behaviour
- protection from predation
- protection from disease, including diseases that can be exacerbated by poor management
- protection from extremes of climate
- protection from extremes of climate.