You will need to comply with this Code of Practice if you intend to be responsible for the welfare of captive-bred emus.
Good welfare of farmed emus ensures that captive-bred emus cope well within their environment and that factors such as growth, reproductive performance, disease levels, injuries and death rates are within industry standards.
The code prescribes standards to ensure that captive-bred emus have:
- appropriate and sufficient food and water to sustain health and vitality
- sufficient area to maintain their well-being and in which to exhibit normal behaviour
- protection from predation
- protection from disease, including disease that can be exacerbated by management
- protection from extremes of climate, particularly during certain phases of their lives
- protection from pain, suffering and injury.