You will need to comply with this Code of Practice if you intend to be responsible for the welfare of livestock in slaughter establishment.
Good welfare of livestock in slaughter houses ensures that animals are subject to efficient, considerate treatment to minimise stress of that animal.
The code prescribes standards regarding stressful event including:
- yarding and handling
- restricted access to food and water
- unfamiliar surroundings, noises and water
- exposure to unseasonal or extreme climatic conditions
- crowding or isolation of animals or inter-mixing strange animals
- exposure to infectious diseases