You will need to comply with this Code of Practice if you intend to be responsible for the welfare of pigs under both intensive, deep litter and outdoor litter systems.
Good welfare of farmed pigs ensures that pigs cope well within their environment and that factors such as growth, reproductive performance, disease levels, injuries and death rates are within industry standards.
The code prescribes standards to ensure that farmed pigs have:
- appropriate and sufficient food and water
- adequate shelter to protect from climate extremes
- opportunity to display appropriate patterns of behavior
- physical handling which minimises unreasonable or unnecessary pain or distress
- protection from and/or rapid diagnosis and correct treatment of injury/disease
- freedom for all necessary and natural movements
- visual and social contact with other pigs.