You will need to comply with this Code of Practice if you intend to be responsible for the welfare of deer.
Good welfare of farmed deer ensures that deer cope well within their environment and that factors such as growth, reproductive performance, disease levels, injuries and death rates are within industry standards.
The code prescribes standards to ensure that farmed deer have:
- appropriate and sufficient food and water
- adequate shelter to protect from climate extremes
- protection from predators
- physical handling which minimises unreasonable or unnecessary pain or distress
- provision of appropriate management to allow for the establishment of herd social hierarchy and social interaction
- protection from disease, injury and pain
- protection from the effects on natural disasters through provision of firebreaks and fodder storage.