You will need to comply with this Code of Practice if you intend to be responsible for the welfare of goats.
Good welfare of farmed goats ensures that goats cope well within their environment and that factors such as growth, reproductive performance, disease levels, injuries and death rates are within industry standards.
The code prescribes standards to ensure that farmed goats have:
- appropriate and sufficient food and water
- adequate shelter to protect from climate extremes
- opportunity to display appropriate patterns of behavior
- physical handling which minimises unreasonable or unnecessary pain or distress
- protection from and/or rapid diagnosis and correct treatment of injury/disease
- Social contact with other goats, with sufficient space to stand, to lie down and stretch their limbs.