Occupancy Permit - Northern Territory


An Occupancy Permit is required before you can occupy a building, at the completion of building works in accordance with the Building Permit, the approved plans, or after a change of use of that building. Occupancy Permits are issued by the building certifier who issued the building permit.

A list of current registered Building Certifiers is also available at http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/building-practitioners/

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

An application for an Occupancy Permit shall be in writing on the approved form and may be made to the Building Certifier who issued the building permit, by the owner of the land, or by the owner's agent.


Per event.



Act(s) name

Building Act 1993 Northern Territory

Additional information

The Building Certifier who issued the building permit will advise what documents are required to be lodged with the application.

Administering agency

Building Advisory Services

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Building Enquiries

Operating address: 1st Floor, Energy House
18-20 Cavenagh Street
Darwin NT 0800
Mailing address: GPO Box 1680
Darwin NT 0801
Phone: 0889998985
Fax: 0889426461
Email: bas@nt.gov.au
Website: http://www.lands.nt.gov.au/building (Opens in new window)