Over-Dimensional Permit - Northern Territory


All vehicles that wish to travel by road must be registered. Special permits may apply for overwidth, oversized or overweight vehicles. Overwidth vehicles wishing to travel on council controlled roads may be required to seek approval from the relevant council. Approvals from other authorities such as the Power and Water Authority or the NT Police may also be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.





Act(s) name

Motor Vehicles Act 1949 Northern Territory

Regulation(s) name

Motor Vehicles (Standards) Regulations 2003 Northern Territory

Additional information

For further information about permits go to https://nt.gov.au/driving/heavy/oversize-or-overmass-vehicles

Administering agency

Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics

Motor Vehicle Registry

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Customer Services Officer

Operating address: 18 Goyder Road
Parap NT 0820
Mailing address: GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801
Toll Free: 1300654628
Phone: 0889993111
Fax: 0889993103
Email: mvr@nt.gov.au
Website: https://nt.gov.au/driving (Opens in new window)