Permit for Non-Pastoral Use of Land - Northern Territory


You need this permit if you are a pastoral lessee and you intend to use all or part of the land subject to your pastoral lease for certain activities.

Activities that require a permit for non-pastoral use of land include, but are not limited to:




  • Tourism activities
  • Forestry activities
  • Aquaculture activities
  • The production of agricultural products that are not going to be used on the pastoral lease, but will used for off-lease consumption. 
  • Horticulture activities
  • Station Store / Roadhouse catering for passing trade
  • Commercial accommodation facilities.

You will also require the land owner's authorisation to lodge an application for a permit for non-pastoral use of their land. 

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To apply for a non-pastoral use of land permit you must first submit your application and land owners authorisation to the agency via their online application portal.

Once you receive pre-lodgment approval you must pay the application fee to the agency, who will then formally submit your application to the Pastoral Land Board on your behalf.


A permit will not have effect for more than 30 years. This permit can be renewed up to two years before permit expiry.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please check with the agency for information on fees to be submitted.

Other resources

Act(s) name

Pastoral Land Act 1992 Northern Territory


The permit for non- pastoral use of land is tied to the land. Any subsequent lessee to the land will acquire the permit for non-pastoral use of land.

Administering agency

Pastoral Land Board

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.