Permit to Keep Protected or Prohibited Wildlife - Northern Territory


You will need this permit if you intend to keep protected or prohibited wildlife in captivity.

All native wildlife in the Northern Territory is protected. Prohibited wildlife includes any Australian native animal that is not indigenous to the Northern Territory, such as a wombat. This includes plants and animals, as well as deceased animals and parts of plants.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible, you must:

  • buy the animal from a lawful source - this is a person, pet shop or breeder with a current permit to keep and trade wildlife
  • attach proof of purchase to your application - this can be a receipt or proof or sale docket
  • be a suitable person to hold a wildlife permit.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please contact the agency for more information.

Local law(s) name

Territory Parks and Wildlife Conservation By-laws 1984


This permit cannot be transferred.

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Parks and Water Security

Parks and Wildlife Commission

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.