Permit to Operate an Aircraft on a Park or Reserve - Northern Territory


You must apply for this permit to use any kind of aircraft including a drone in a park or reserve.

You can fly your drones in areas generally open to the public at approved parks, provided you follow these rules:

  • fly your drone in a way that does not annoy or create a hazard to park visitors, disturb wildlife or interfere with park management operations
  • fly your drone according to Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) regulations
  • only fly your drone in your line-of-sight during daylight hours and don't let the drone get too far away from you
  • fly your drone to avoid crowded areas, including waterholes, campgrounds and picnic areas - do not fly within 200m or over these sites while they are in use
  • avoid flying near staff houses, offices or workshops - do not fly within 200m or over these sites
  • fly more than 30m away from people, animals, vehicles, boats or buildings
  • seek consent before recording or photographing people and let them know if you wish to film from your drone - ask if they mind or wait until they go
  • you must stop flying your drone if Parks and Wildlife staff ask you to.

If you require information about further restrictions or information about using drones in parks and reserves, please contact the department.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible you will be required to provide a Certificate of Compliance prior to permit being issued.


Up to 12 months


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please check with the agency for information on fees to be submitted.

Local law(s) name

Territory Parks and Wildlife Conservation By-Laws 1984

Approval time

Please allow a minimum of five working days for your application to be approved.

Additional information

You will be required to have public liability insurance for a minimum of $10 million.

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Parks and Water Security

Parks and Wildlife Commission

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.