Prohibited Substance Authorisation - Northern Territory


You will require this authorisation if you intend to possess, supply or administer a prohibited substance (other than etorphine). A prohibited substance is a schedule 9 or 10 substance.

You may apply for a prohibited substance authorisation limited to etorphine if you are a veterinarian and will use the substance to sedate animals.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible you must:

  • be an authorised health practitioner
  • be treating a patient with a life-threatening condition who is suffering from symptoms unresponsive to other available treatment
  • ensure security arrangements for the place the substance is stored is adequate to prevent the unlawful use or removal of the substance from the place
  • ensure the substance is only administered by the authorised health practitioner or self-administered by the patient
  • be a suitable person to hold the authority.


Up to three years.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please contact your council for information on fees to be submitted.


Administering agency

Department of Health

Medicines and Poisons Control

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.