You will need this registration if you are an owner of an item of plant and intend to use it in the workplace. Registering an item of plant ensures it is inspected by a competent person and is safe to operate. Plant requiring item registration includes:
- boilers categorised as hazard level A, B, or C according to criteria in Section 2.1 of AS 4343:2005 (Pressure equipment - hazard levels)
- pressure vessels categorised as hazard level A, B or C according to the criteria in Section 2.1 of AS 4343:2005 (Pressure equipment – hazard levels), except: gas cylinders; LP Gas fuel vessels for automotive use, and serially produced vessels
- tower cranes, including self-erecting tower cranes
- lifts, including escalators and moving walks
- building maintenance units
- amusement devices covered by Section 2.1 of AS 3533.1:2009 (Amusement Rides and Devices-Design and Construction), except for the following: class 1 structures; playground devices; some water slides; wave generators where patrons do not come into contact with parts of machinery used for generating water waves; inflatable devices other than those with a platform of 3 metres or more.
- concrete placing booms
- mobile cranes with a rated capacity of greater than 10 tonnes.
The following items do not require plant item registration:
- any pressure equipment (other than a gas cylinder) excluded from the scope of AS/NZS 1200:2000
- a crane or hoist that is manually powered
- a reach stacker.