Waste Discharge Licence - Northern Territory


You must have this licence if you are involved in activities where waste will come into contact with water. Water includes groundwater, tidal water, rivers, creeks, lakes and channels. Waste includes any matter whether wholly or partly in a solid liquid or gaseous state, which if added to water, may pollute the water.

Activities which may need this licence include:

  • operating a sewage or wastewater treatment plants
  • operating aquaculture
  • mining
  • dredged material disposal.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible, you must:

  • be a legal entity
  • provide a location map in relation to surrounding areas and land uses
  • provide contact details
  • provide evidence of landowner consent if you do not own the land
  • provide any supporting documentation requested by the NTEPA.


Maximum of two years unless approved by the Controller of Water.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

No fees required.

Administering agency

Northern Territory Environmental Protection Authority (NTEPA)

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Northern Territory Environmental Protection Authority (NTEPA)

Operating address: Arnhemica House
Level 1
16 Parap Road
Darwin, Northern Territory 0801
Phone: 08 8924 4218
Email: waste@nt.gov.au
Contact us website: Contact Us (Opens in new window)