Advertising signage (Redland) - Redland City Council - Queensland


Advertising control exists so that advertisements and associated structures complement (or at least do not unreasonably detract from) desirable characteristics of the natural and built environment in which the advertisements appear.

The objects of this local law are to ensure that your business signs and associated structures:

  1. are constructed and maintained to essential standards of public safety
  2. complement the desirable characteristics of the built and natural environment in which the signs are exhibited
  3. are of high quality and are innovative designed to effectively communicate the information contained.

If you are advertising on a state-controlled road, contact the Department of Transport and Main Roads for information on the State Government roadside advertising policy.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

You must have public liability insurance if your sign is located on or over public land and name your local council as an interested party. A copy of this document must be submitted before your application can be approved.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

Your local council undertakes inspections to ensure that advertising signs are complying with the legislation and any approval conditions.


This authority remains in effect as designated by council.


As fees vary you should contact council to determine applicable fees, which may include:

  • application fee (broken into categories: under 2m in height and 2m in height and over)
  • annual licence fees.

If your sign is impounded by council officers you will incur a release fee.

Act(s) name

Local Government Act 2009 Queensland

Application process


To obtain approval under the Local Law for your sign you will need to submit a completed Application for Sign Approval to council. The form should be signed by the property owner, have the correct application fee and be accompanied by relevant details relating to the sign such as:

  • site plan of sign location
  • sign size and dimensions
  • details of when the sign is to be displayed
  • engineering details if the sign involves erection of a structure.

Certain signs may require a further development permit for building works in accordance with the Sustainable Planning Act 2009 and Building Act 1975. This is usually required for all sign structures that are either:

  • freestanding and over 2 metres in height from ground level, or
  • freestanding and greater than 1.2 metres in width, or
  • signs that form a separate structure when attached to an existing building or structure.

Building Works approval may be obtained from either Redland City Council or a private certifier.

Submit completed application to the Development Standards Team at the address specified on the front of the application form.

Find forms and guidance at the links provided.

Transfer process


You can apply in writing to transfer this registration. Prior to transferring you must submit authority from the property owner, and pay any outstanding signage fees.


If you intend to take over an existing advertising sign, you may apply for a search of council records for information on the current advertising sign and the conditions of the approval. This process may require written permission from the vendor.

Administering agency

Redland City Council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Redland City Council

Operating address: Corner Bloomfield & Middle Streets
Cleveland, Queensland, 4163
Mailing address: PO BOX 21
Cleveland, Queensland 4163
Phone: 07 3829 8999
Fax: 07 3829 8765
Website: Redland City Council (Opens in new window)