Approval for works on public areas and roads - Livingstone Shire Council - Queensland


You will require this approval if you conduct work on council property, such as roads and footways, as part of construction work or business operations. Activities which will require this approval include:

  • installing, changing, damaging or removing a structure in a council controlled area or on a road
  • planting, clearing or damaging vegetation in a council controlled area or on an urban road.

Activities which alter the shape or form of land are defined as operational works and will need development approval. Examples of these activities include:

  • excavating or filling of land (i.e. earthworks including change of ground level for retaining walls, construction of a dam)
  • undertaking landscaping works
  • civil works for new subdivision and other works associated with a material change of use of premises or reconfiguring a lot
  • placing an advertising device on premises
  • undertaking roadworks and creating new infrastructure
  • constructing a driveway / vehicle crossing
  • undertaking prescribed tidal works or works in a coastal management district
  • connecting to Council stormwater drainage.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


As specified


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All -

Additional fees may apply, please contact your council for information on fees to be submitted.

Apply Application All $387.00

Gates and grids. Fees for 2023-24

Apply Application All $191.00

Works in council controlled areas and road reserve. Fees for 2023-24

Renew Renewal All $211.00

Gates and grids. Fees for 2023-24


Act(s) name

Local Government Act 2009 Queensland

Application process


To apply for approval for works on public areas and roads, you must:

  • submit the approved application form
  • accompany the application with any documents or materials required by your council or local authority
  • pay the prescribed fee.

The following documents and materials may need to accompany your application:

  • full details of the proposed works or interference including plans and specifications
  • details of all building work and other work to be carried out under the approval
  • details of the time and place at which the works will be undertaken
  • the proposed term of the approval
  • the impact of the works on pedestrian or vehicular traffic
  • materials, equipment and vehicles to be used in the undertaking of the works
  • plans and specifications detailing the relevant part of the road, the proposed location of each structure and item of equipment, and the type and location of any utility, service or infrastructure to be used
  • the written consent and statement of support from each occupier of land which will be directly or indirectly affected by the undertaking of the works on a road.

If written consent cannot be obtained, you must provide details of the consultation undertaken by the applicant on the road and the result of the consultation.

Administering agency

Livingstone Shire Council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.