You will need approval to hire a metered standpipe to gain access to bulk volumes of water. A standpipe is a metered portable device used to obtain water directly from fire hydrants to water mains. Once you have hired a standpipe, you can only use it within your service provider's area.
You will be responsible for the quality of water supplied from a metered standpipe. You will also be responsible for:
- operating the standpipe safely and in accordance with the terms and conditions of use
- ensuring compliance with all relevant approvals and legislation relating to the carrying, supply and use of potable water sourced from a tanker filling station.
Use of metered standpipes is often limited, and availability will be reserved for situations where other options are not available. Examples of approved uses of a metered standpipe include:
- concrete cutting
- earthworks on development sites
- road works
- swimming pool and spa fills
- domestic water carriers
- dust suppression
- water mains pressure testing for new mains
- sewer mains pressure testing and cleaning
- stormwater testing / cleaning
- tunnelling contractors
- wash down of driveways, paths and other hard surfaces