Approval to hire a metered standpipe - Weipa Town Authority - Queensland


You will need approval to hire a metered standpipe to gain access to bulk volumes of water. A standpipe is a metered portable device used to obtain water directly from fire hydrants to water mains. Once you have hired a standpipe, you can only use it within your service provider's area.

Use of metered standpipes is often limited, and availability will be reserved for situations where other options are not available. Examples of approved uses of a metered standpipe include:

  • concrete cutting
  • earthworks on development sites
  • road works
  • swimming pool and spa fills
  • domestic water carriers
  • dust suppression
  • landscaping
  • water mains pressure testing for new mains
  • sewer mains pressure testing and cleaning
  • stormwater testing / cleaning
  • tunnelling contractors
  • wash down of driveways, paths and other hard surfaces
  • dewatering.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


You do not need this approval to take water for firefighting purposes.

Eligibility requirements

You may need to ensure you have the following prior to submitting your application:

  • a current public liability insurance certificate (minimum of $20 million)
  • backflow test reports for all tankers
  • standpipe operator tickets for all standpipe operators.

A standpipe operator ticket can be obtained by completing training in the safe operation of the equipment. The training must be done through an approved training provider.

Potable water carriers will also be required to hold an Australian Business Number (ABN).

Access to a water fill station may need to be assessed before the hire of a standpipe can be considered.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please contact your council for information on fees to be submitted.


Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Application for approval to hire a metered standpipe - Please contact your council for information on the current application process and relevant form.

Additional information

You will be responsible for the quality of water supplied from a metered standpipe. You will also be responsible for:

  • operating the standpipe safely and in accordance with the terms and conditions of use
  • ensuring compliance with all relevant approvals and legislation relating to the carrying, supply and use of potable water sourced from a tanker filling station.

Administering agency

Weipa Town Authority

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

General Enquiries

Weipa Town Authority

Operating address: 1 Hibberd Drive
Rocky Point, Queensland 4874
Mailing address: PO BOX 420
Weipa, Queensland 4874
Phone: 07 4030 9400
Website: Weipa Town Authority (Opens in new window)