You will need this authorisation for the building of infrastructure and structures in a protected area.
Infrastructure and structures that may be allowed in protected areas include:
- service facilities such as electricity transmission lines, telecommunication towers, marine navigational aids and water or gas pipelines
- ecotourism, scientific or education facilities.
Development in national parks is generally limited only to uses that are consistent with the basic management principle of national parks (that being the permanent preservation of natural condition and protection of cultural resources and values of the area). However, service and ecotourism facilities may be allowed where:
- the cardinal principle for the management of national parks will be observed as far as possible
- the use will be in the public interest
- the use will be ecologically sustainable
- (if the use is a service facility) there is no reasonably practical alternative to the use.