You must apply for a restricted builder licence to undertake building work with a value of more than $3,300 on any of the following:
- kitchen, bathroom and laundries
- special structures
- structural landscaping.
Note this work may also be performed by a licensee holding an applicable Builder licence (Low Rise, Medium Rise or Open) depending on the class of the classification of the building.
A builder restricted to shopfitting licensee may undertake any building work associated with the internal fit out of the shop or office, including shopfronts, but not including Type A or B construction.
A builder restricted to kitchen, bathroom and laundry work licensee may refurbish, restore and repair onsite kitchens, bathrooms and laundries provided the gross floor area is less than 50 metres squared.
A builder restricted to special structures licensee may construct, install or maintain shade sails and signs. They may also undertake concreting work for footings to support structures for signs and sails.
A builder restricted to structural landscaping may:
- prepare, fabricate and erect carports, decking, fences, gate, gazebos, ornamental structures, pergolas, ponds and water features, prefabricated sheds including associated concrete slabs, with a floor area of not more than 10 metres squared, and retaining walls and structures
- construct artificial landform structures requiring a fabricated internal structure
- prepare site, excavate, lay paving or concrete associated with landscaping
- install irrigation for landscaping works
- install, erect and construct playground equipment
- construct, maintain and repair a tennis court or another sporting court.
All restricted building licences enable the licensee to prepare plans or specifications relevant to the restricted licence class they hold, for their own personal use.
You can apply for this licence as a:
- contractor - allows you to perform, supervise and enter into contracts for building work
- company - allows a company to contract for and perform building work, provided a person is nominated as a supervisor
- nominee supervisor - allows you to supervise work on behalf of a licensed company, but not to contract out individually to perform building work
- site supervisor - allows you to supervise work on behalf of a licensed contractor, but not to contract out or be appointed as a nominated supervisor for a company.
You can undertake incidental work outside your licence class to finish a job, provided the total value of the work does not exceed $3,300. The value of the building work includes all labour and material costs and should be included in your contract.