** Scheduled maintenance **

We’ll be updating this tool between 7 am and 11 am on 20 July 2024 (AEST). During this time, this website will be unavailable

Builder restricted licence - Queensland


You must apply for a restricted builder licence to undertake building work with a value of more than $3,300 on any of the following:

  • shopfitting
  • kitchen, bathroom and laundries
  • special structures
  • structural landscaping.

Note this work may also be performed by a licensee holding an applicable Builder licence (Low Rise, Medium Rise or Open) depending on the class of the classification of the building.

A builder restricted to shopfitting licensee may undertake any building work associated with the internal fit out of the shop or office, including shopfronts, but not including Type A or B construction.

A builder restricted to kitchen, bathroom and laundry work licensee may refurbish, restore and repair onsite kitchens, bathrooms and laundries provided the gross floor area is less than 50 metres squared.

A builder restricted to special structures licensee may construct, install or maintain shade sails and signs. They may also undertake concreting work for footings to support structures for signs and sails.

A builder restricted to structural landscaping may:

  • prepare, fabricate and erect carports, decking, fences, gate, gazebos, ornamental structures, pergolas, ponds and water features, prefabricated sheds including associated concrete slabs, with a floor area of not more than 10 metres squared, and retaining walls and structures
  • construct artificial landform structures requiring a fabricated internal structure
  • prepare site, excavate, lay paving or concrete associated with landscaping
  • install irrigation for landscaping works
  • install, erect and construct playground equipment
  • construct, maintain and repair a tennis court or another sporting court.

All restricted building licences enable the licensee to prepare plans or specifications relevant to the restricted licence class they hold, for their own personal use.

You can apply for this licence as a:

  • contractor - allows you to perform, supervise and enter into contracts for building work
  • company - allows a company to contract for and perform building work, provided a person is nominated as a supervisor
  • nominee supervisor - allows you to supervise work on behalf of a licensed company, but not to contract out individually to perform building work
  • site supervisor - allows you to supervise work on behalf of a licensed contractor, but not to contract out or be appointed as a nominated supervisor for a company.

You can undertake incidental work outside your licence class to finish a job, provided the total value of the work does not exceed $3,300. The value of the building work includes all labour and material costs and should be included in your contract.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Your requirements will vary depending on your class of licence. To be eligible, you will need to meet the appropriate:

  • technical requirements
  • experience requirements
  • managerial requirements
  • financial requirements.

If you do not meet the technical qualifications, you may be able to obtain one through recognition of prior learning (RPL) by a registered training organisation (RTO). Please see the attached resources for specific information on these requirements.

If you are an interstate applicant, you may be eligible to obtain a licence through mutual recognition. If you are an international applicant, you may have to have an overseas qualification assessed for equivalency prior to applying.


1 or 3 years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

You can find the current fees here.

Application process


To apply for this licence, you will need to fill out the builders licence application form, building and designer experience form and complete the referee report, providing:

  • details of your experience
  • evidence of your qualifications
  • written references (note if you cannot provide three written references to confirm your experience, the onus will be on you to suitability demonstrate to the agency the experience documented is true and correct)
  • financial information showing that you meet the minimum financial requirements (for contractor types only)
  • proof of identity
  • a current copy of your Record of Registration form from ASIC, if you are contracting under a trading name
  • if you are contracting under a partnership, proof of the business partnership
  • the applicable fees.

Approval time

Applications can take between 6 and 12 weeks to be processed, depending on their complexity


You cannot transfer this licence.

Administering agency

Queensland Building and Construction Commission

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.