BYO alcohol - Queensland


You have the option of allowing "bring your own" (BYO) alcohol consumption. You do not have to hold a liquor licence or get approval from the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation for BYO alcohol at restaurants, but some local councils may need you to notify them of your intention to allow BYO alcohol beforehand and may add an endorsement to your food licence.

If you intend to sell liquor in your restaurant and allow patrons to BYO alcohol, you will need a subsidiary on-premises licence. However, for some other types of licensed premises (e.g. cafes, nightclubs and certain public events), it is an offence to BYO alcohol.

Allowing BYO alcohol may require you to display signage.

Service type

Advisory Material

Advisory material provides advice and guidance in undertaking a business.

Other resources

Administering agency

Local Council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.