Commercial other (subsidiary off-premises) licence - Queensland


You will need this licence if you sell liquor for off-premises consumption as a subsidiary or supplementary activity of your business (e.g. if you operate as a florist or a business that sells gift baskets).

This licence only allows you to sell less than two litres of liquor per sale.

You may also apply for approval to cater for functions held away from your main licensed premises. A function is an event or occasion:

  • to which persons are invited by or on behalf of its organiser
  • that happens in premises hired for the purpose by the organiser.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


An exemption exists for businesses that sell liquor as part of a floral arrangement or gift basket. The following criteria must be met to be exempt from requiring a licence:

  • The sale is part of a florist's business or the business of a person selling gift baskets.
  • The quantity of the liquor is not more than two litres and, if the liquor includes spirits, the quantity of spirits is not more than one litre.
  • The floral arrangement or gift basket must be delivered as a gift to an adult other than the purchaser of the floral arrangement or gift basket.
  • The gift is to be delivered to a place other than the business where the sale was made and other than a relevant restricted area.
  • The total value of the liquor and the container in which it is supplied is not more than 75 per cent of the gift's sale price.
  • The liquor was purchased on a retail basis.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you will need to be a fit and proper or suitable person.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

You must comply with all the conditions listed on your licence. This includes responsibilities related to trading hours, safety, advertising and noise. You must not conduct business on the licensed premises other than that authorised by the licence.

A licensee or an approved manager may need to be at the premises during trading hours to ensure the responsible management of the licensed venue.


Until surrendered or cancelled


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

View the current liquor and wine licence fees and charges.

Other resources

Application process


To apply for a new licence, you must submit the following:

  • a completed Form 1: Application for a liquor licence
  • a completed Form 5: Personal details schedule for each individual who is a party to the application
  • a completed Form 6: Application for registration of financial interest 
  • prescribed application fees (including the fee for criminal history check)
  • a layout plan (scale 1:100)
  • a location plan
  • town planning consent
  • a current title search
  • a registered plan of survey
  • a company extract showing all current directors (only if you are applying as a corporation).

You may also be required to submit:

In addition to the above, all applicants must undergo a criminal history and other relevant probity checks to hold a liquor licence. You may also be required to advertise your licence application.


You will need to complete Form 28: Application for temporary authority if your licensed premises are temporarily moving to a new location (e.g. if the current premises are being rebuilt, refurbished or is damaged by fire).

Transfer process


You can apply to transfer your licence by completing a Form 3: Application for transfer of a liquor licence. You should lodge your application for transfer six to eight weeks before the proposed settlement date to allow sufficient time for processing.

Please note that new business operators have no authority to sell and supply liquor until a transfer is approved and the applicant has become the licensee.

Additional information

Once your licence is granted you can pay your annual fees and manage your details using OLGR's client portal.

You can also apply separately for additional licences or permits.

Administering agency

Department of Justice and Attorney-General

Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation

Licensing Division

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.