You are required to register the design of plant listed in Schedule 5 Part 1 of the Work Health and Safety Regulation 2011, as follows:
Note 1: A manufacturer, importer or supplier must not supply plant listed in Schedule 5 Part 1 unless the design is registered.
Note 2: A person with management or control of plant at a workplace must not use, or direct or allow a worker to use plant listed in Schedule 5 Part 1, unless the plant design is registered.)
Boom-type elevating work platform
Means a telescoping device, hinged device, or articulated device, or any combination of these, used to support a platform on which personnel, equipment and materials may be elevated.
Bridge crane with a safe working load of at least 10t
Means a crane comprising a bridge beam, mounted at each end to an end carriage, capable of travelling along elevated runways and having 1 or more hoisting mechanisms arranged to traverse across the bridge beam.
Bridge crane or gantry crane designed to handle molten metal or dangerous goods
See separate definitions for bridge crane and gantry crane.
Building maintenance unit
Means a power operated suspended platform, and associated equipment on a building, designed to provide permanent access to the faces of the building for maintenance.
Concrete placement units with delivery booms
Means plant that:
- is used to place concrete by pumping the concrete through a pipeline attached to, or forming part of, the boom; and
- relies on gravity for stability, without the need for a vertical restraining connection with the supporting surface or a horizontal restraining connection (other than frictional forces at supporting surface level) to aid stability.
See lift definition below.
Gantry crane with a safe working load of more than 5t
Means a crane comprising a bridge beam that is supported at 1 or both ends by legs mounted to end carriages, capable of travelling along runways and having 1 or more hoisting mechanisms.
Hoists with a platform movement exceeding 2.4m, designed to lift people
Means an appliance intended for raising or lowering a load or people, and includes:
- an elevating work platform
- a mast climbing work platform
- personnel and materials hoist
- scaffolding hoist and serial hoist.
It does not include a lift or building maintenance equipment.
Means plant that is, or is intended to be, permanently installed in or attached to a structure, in which people, goods or materials may be raised or lowered within a car or cage, or on a platform and the movement of which is restricted by a guide or guides, and includes:
- a chairlift, escalator, moving walkway and stairway lift; and
- any supporting structure, machinery, equipment, gear, lift well, enclosures and entrances.
Mast climbing work platform
Means a hoist with a working platform used for temporary purposes to lift personnel or materials using a drive system mounted on an extendable mast that may be tied to a building.
Mobile crane with a safe working load of more than 10t
Means a crane capable of travelling over a supporting surface without the need for fixed runways and relying only on gravity for stability.
Means an integrated system of scaffolding components manufactured in a way that the assembled shape of the scaffolding is predetermined.
Pressure equipment with hazard level A, B, C or D
As worked out under the criteria stated in AS 4343 as in force on 1 July 2000, other than pressure piping.
Means boilers, pressure vessels and pressure piping.
Means an assembly of pipes, pipe fittings, valves and pipe accessories subject to internal or external pressure and used to contain or convey fluid or to transmit fluid pressure and includes:
- distribution headers
- bolting, gaskets
- pipe supports
- pressure retaining accessories.
It does not include:
- a boiler, or pressure vessel
- any piping that is regulated under the Petroleum and Gas (Production and Safety) Regulation 2004.
Means a vessel subject to internal or external pressure and includes
- interconnected parts and components, valves, gauges and other fittings up to the first point of connecting piping
- fired heaters
- gas cylinders.
It does not include a boiler or pressure piping.
Means a vessel or arrangement of vessels and interconnecting parts in which:
- steam or other vapour is generated; or
- water or other liquid is heated at a pressure above that of the atmosphere; by the application of fire, the products of combustion, electrical power, or similar high temperature means.
It includes superheaters, reheaters, economisers, boiler piping, supports, mountings, valves, gauges, fittings, controls, the boiler setting and directly associated equipment.
It does not include a fully flooded or pressurised system where water or other liquid is heated to a temperature lower than the normal atmospheric boiling temperature of the liquid.
Means a rigid pressure vessel that:
- has a water capacity or more than 0.1 L but not more than 3000L
- has no openings, or integral attachments, on the shell of the vessel other than at the ends of the vessel
- is for the storage and transport of gas under pressure.
Amusement devices covered by section 2.1 of AS 3533.1 (Amusement Rides and Devices) other than Class 1 devices
Means plant operated for hire or reward that provides entertainment, sightseeing or amusement through movement of the equipment, or part of the equipment, or when passengers travel on, around or along the equipment, but does not include:
- a miniature train and railway system owned and operated by a model railway society, club or association
- a ride or device that is used as a form of transport and that is, in relation to its use for that purpose, regulated under another Act or an Act of the Commonwealth
- a boat or flotation device that
- is solely propelled by a person who is in or on the boat or device
- is not attached to any mechanical elements or equipment outside the boat or device,
- does not rely on any artificial flow of water to move
- any plant specifically designed for a sporting, professional stunt, theatrical or acrobatic purpose or activity
- a coin-operated or token-operated device that
- is intended to be ridden, at the one time, by not more than 4 children who must be below the age of 10 years
- is usually located in a shopping centre or similar public location
- does not necessarily have an operator.
Means a boom crane or a jib crane mounted on a tower structure.
Means a device to hoist vehicles designed to provide access for under-chassis examination or service.
Means a personnel carrying device, designed to be suspended from a crane to provide a working area for a person elevated by and working from the device.
The Plant Code of Practice 2005 is also relevant.
Relevant Sections of the Work Health and Safety Regulation 2011 are sections 231 to 233, 243 to 245, 248 to 263 and Schedule 5 Part 1.