You will need to register certain types of plant design if you are a manufacturer, importer or suppliers who intend to supply the following plant:
- pressure equipment, other than pressure piping, and categorised as hazard level A, B, C or D according to the criteria in Section 2.1 of AS 4343 Pressure equipment - hazard levels
- gas cylinders covered by Part 1.1 of AS 2030.1 Gas cylinders - General Requirements
- tower cranes including self-erecting tower cranes
- lifts, including escalators and moving walkways
- building maintenance units
- hoists with a platform movement exceeding 2.4 metres, designed to lift people
- work boxes designed to be suspended from cranes
- amusement devices covered by Section 2.1 of AS 3533 - Amusement Rides and Devices
- concrete placing booms
- prefabricated scaffolding
- boom-type elevating work platforms
- gantry cranes with a safe working load greater than 5 tonnes or bridge cranes with a safe working load of greater than 10 tonnes, and any gantry crane or bridge crane which is designed to handle molten metal or Schedule 11 hazardous chemicals
- vehicle hoists
- mast climbing work platforms
- mobile cranes with a rated capacity of greater than 10 tonnes.
Design registration ensures that plant is designed and verified to appropriate technical standards prior to being supplied.
The designer or the person with management or control of the item of plant can apply to have a design registered. Once the design is registered, any number of items can be supplied as long as it complies with the design that was registered. The registration holder must provide the design registration number with each item that is supplied.