Development Permit - Vegetation Clearing - Queensland


A vegetation clearing permit is required to carry out operational work that is clearing of native vegetation on freehold, indigenous and State land made.

For a list of types of vegetation clearing activities that do not require this permit see the list of vegetation clearing exemptions guide.

Material changes of use and reconfiguring a lot applications that involve assessable vegetation will need to be cleared before approval.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Under Section 22A of the Vegetation Management Act 1999 (VMA), an application for operational work, including applications, where Natural Resources and Mines is a concurrency agency cannot be accepted as properly made unless the chief executive is satisfied that the development is for a relevant purpose.

Applicants should indicate how the proposed clearing addresses every component of the relevant purpose listed in S22A(2)of the VMA prior to preparing the application, applicants should discuss the proposed clearing with a vegetation management officer.


Vegetation clearing development approvals have a term of 2-5 years. Local government determines the term of material change of use and reconfiguration of a lot approvals.


You can obtain information on fees for Development approvals for clearing native vegetation at

Other resources

Additional information

The department advises landholders to check with their regional office regarding whether they require a permit for any proposed native vegetation clearing.  A landholders' guide to vegetation clearing applications is currently available on the department's website.

Before clearing under any exemption, landholders should check-

  • that there are no other legislative requirements (e.g. local government laws); and
  • that there are no conditions associated with any permit attached to the land that will bind the owner, the owners successors in title and any occupier of the land.

(e.g. A development permit under the SPA was received in 2000 specifying that clearing does not occur within 100m of a certain watercourse. While the permit may have expired the condition requiring no clearing within 100m of that watercourse will remain).

Administering agency

Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy

Phone: 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
Website: Department of Natural Resources and Mines contact list (Opens in new window)