Allocation notice to take quarry material - Queensland


You need this allocation if you intend to remove quarry material from land under State tidal water. This applies to:

  • extractive industry (e.g. for sand and gravel for construction purposes)
  • capital dredging associated with some form of tidal works (e.g. excavation of a marina basin, dredging of a new navigation channel)
  • maintenance dredging.

Removal can involve taking the material for sale, using the spoil for reclamation or fill above the high watermark, or removing the material for dewatering or another environmental purpose on land.

The purpose of regulating the removal of quarry material on Queensland's coast is to avoid potentially negative impacts on coastal resources such as degradation of water quality, changes to hydrodynamics of tidal waterways or loss of sediment that feeds coastal processes such as beach building.

You can request a standard, variation or site-specific application form from the agency.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

In addition to an allocation notice, you may need a development permit before you can start removing quarry material under tidal water.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

You must regularly tell the agency the quantity of quarry material you have removed.

A royalty is generally payable for quarry material removed under an allocation notice.


The allocation notice remains in effect for up to six years, unless cancelled or suspended before the expiry date.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

You can find the current fees here.

Application process


It is recommended that you arrange a pre-lodgement meeting to help prepare your application.

Your application must be accompanied by documentation such as plans and information about your proposed volumes and methods. Refer to the 'Guideline on dredging and allocation of quarry material' for details on what to include with your application.


You can make your application online through Online services.

Alternatively, you can complete the Part A and Part B forms and submit with the application fee to the address in the forms.


You can transfer all or part of your allocation of quarry material to another person.

Administering agency

Department of Environment and Science

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Permit and Licence Management

Department of Environment and Science

Mailing address: GPO BOX 2454
Brisbane, Queensland 4001
Phone: 1300 130 372
Website: Department of Environment and Science (Opens in new window)