Energy retailer authorisation - Queensland


You will need this authorisation in order to engage in the retail sale of energy (electricity or gas). This includes supply of electricity to premises that are (or will be) connected to the national electricity system, as well the supply of natural gas to retail customers through a distribution pipeline. If you are seeking to sell both gas and electricity, then two applications need to be submitted. Please consult with the Agency before submitting a dual fuel application.

This authorisation is in place to ensure that energy providers are complying with relevant rules and legislation and therefore customers' rights are being protected, with respect to price, quality, safety, reliability and security of supply of energy. Authorised retailers details and any application for authorisation are published in a public register.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this authorisation you must:

  • have sufficient organisational and technical capacity
  • have sufficient financial resources or access to resources
  • be a suitable person to hold a retailer authorisation.

You can apply as an individual or as a member of a partnership or joint venture. If you are applying as a partnership or joint venture, you must satisfy specific criteria.


A retailer authorisation does not expire. It will continue until it is surrendered or revoked.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

You do not need to pay any fees.


Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Authorisation to become an energy retailer - There is no application form. To apply, you are required to provide the Agency with the information outlined in the guidelines.

Lodgement process


Applications must be submitted both in writing and electronically via email.

Approval time

The Agency aims to make a decision within 12 weeks of receiving all relevant information.

Additional information

You will not need this authorisation if you only sell electricity to an authorised retailer. Nor will you need this authorisation if you are the owner of a caravan park, shopping centre or other building and you buy electricity from an authorised retailer then onsell it to your tenants.

Administering agency

Australian Energy Regulator

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Brisbane Office

Australian Energy Regulator

Operating address: Level 25
32 Turbot Street
Brisbane City, Queensland 4000
Mailing address: PO BOX 12241
George Street, Queensland 4003
Phone: 07 3835 4666
Fax: 07 3835 4653
Website: Australian Energy Regulator (Opens in new window)