You will need an environmental authority to undertake an environmentally relevant activity (ERA). ERAs are prescribed or resource activities with the potential to release contaminants into the environment.
- Prescribed activities include industrial or intensive agricultural activities.
- Resource activities include mining, petroleum, geothermal or greenhouse gas storage activities.
Who you need to apply to will be determined by your ERA. You will need to apply to the department if you undertake any of the following:
- chemical, coal and petroleum products activities (except for asphalt manufacturing and plastic product manufacturing)
- cropping and horticulture activities
- energy related services
- extractive activities
- food processing
- metal production and mineral processing activities
- miscellaneous activities (except for surface coating)
- non-metallic mineral product manufacture
- sawmilling, woodchipping, and timber and laminated product manufacturing
- transport and maritime services (except for boat maintenance or repair)
- waste management and transport
- water treatment services.