You must have a licence to work as a field agent if you intend to:
- find and recover goods (repossession)
- collect debts face-to-face
- serve documents (process serving).
Alternatively, you can work as a collection agent and do not require a licence if you only:
- collect debts (and do not repossess goods or do process serving)
- contact debtors over the phone or in writing.
- perform evictions or vacant repossessions of real property.
In most cases, a corporation that works in the debt collection industry must have a corporate licence. This is as a separate licence that individual field agents / debt collectors must have.