Fireworks contractor licence - Queensland


A fireworks contractor license is required for an individual, corporation or partnership to:

  • organise a fireworks display for the display host
  • possess fireworks to supply them to a fireworks operator
  • purchase fireworks to use in a fireworks display organised by the fireworks contractor
  • store and transport limited quantities of fireworks (to supply them to a fireworks operator).

The licence lists the category of fireworks display.

Note: If a fireworks contractor is an individual, they must also be an authorised fireworks operator. If a fireworks contractor is a corporation, the corporation must have a nominated licensed fireworks operator who is a qualified fireworks contractor.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To qualify as a fireworks contractor, you must:

  • be at least 21 years old
  • have at least 3 years' experience and conducted at least 40 fireworks displays as a fireworks operator for various display types and sizes
  • be competent and have completed an approved course of training as a fireworks contractor
  • have sufficient public liability insurance
  • have a safety and security management system for all fireworks activities to be undertaken.
  • for a license or permit related to security sensitive explosives, the individual, directors, partners or nominated responsible person must hold a current security clearance.

Might Need

Fireworks operator licence


This licence is effective for a period of 1 year or 3 years from the date of approval.

Application process

This licence may be applied for by a contractor to cover the use of fireworks only.

You can obtain this licence by submitting a completed application form to the nearest Explosives regional office.

The required items section of the application form outlines all prerequisite licensing requirements.

A corporation applying for this licence must:
(a) nominate an authorised person to act on behalf of the corporation,

(b) if non-publicly listed company, provide an Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) Extract showing the directors of the corporation.

(c) f a publicly listed listed company, nominate a responsible person for explosives activities related to the company.

The Chief Inspector of Explosives may require further assessment of the applicant under S15 (7)(c)of the Explosives Act 1999.
The applicant's work status may require the provision of further information not outlined on the application form.

Administering agency

Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy

Explosives Inspectorate

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Manager, Explosives Licensing

Explosives Inspectorate

Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy

Mailing address: PO BOX 15216
City East, Queensland 4002
Phone: 07 3199 8023
Website: Explosives Inspectorate contact information (Opens in new window)