First Class Mine Manager's Certificate of Competency (Underground Metalliferous Mines) - Queensland


This certificate is required to occupy the statutory position of Underground Mine Manager in a metalliferous mine employing 20 or more persons underground.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

You must have:

  • Bachelor of Engineering (Mining), University of Queensland or a degree, diploma or other qualification in mining engineering recognised by the Board of Examiners, or
  • Graduate Diploma in Mining or Mining Engineering from a recognised tertiary institution which is acceptable to the Board, based on a selection of modules/units/courses acceptable to the Board.

You must also have:

  • current HLTFA311A Apply First Aid including HLTCPR211A Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
  • RIIRIS601A Establish the risk management system, or equivalent.

At least 3 years mining experience, of a nature and standard acceptable to the Board, in and around an underground mine, of which at least 2 years underground mining activity is in a metalliferous mine, including at least 9 months directly involved in face operations, including:

  1. at least 16 weeks directly involving work in mine development or stoping, with personal experience in the handling and use of explosives, and
  2. at least 10 weeks experience in at least 2 of the following
  • ground support systems
  • transport of ore, waste, supplies and equipment
  • stope preparation and filling
  • shaft maintenance.

At least 9 months having been a front line supervisor in direct control of and instructing a team of people engaged in mining activities in an underground mining situation, including directly controlling the mine physical environment

All persons seeking to have their interstate statutory certificates of competency registered in Queensland must first undertake and pass an examination in such of the Queensland mining safety and health law as is applicable to their certificate of competency and must hold relevant risk management competencies.


This certificate remains in effect perpetually unless suspended or cancelled by the Board or an Industrial Magistrate.


Application process

You can obtain this certificate by submitting a completed current "Application for a First Class Mine Manager's Certificate of Competency (Underground Metalliferous Mines)" to the Board. This application form can also be downloaded from the Boards website.

The following documents must be submitted with the application:

  • certified copy of identification (birth certificate, driver's licence or passport)
  • certified proof of academic qualifications
  • verification by employers of prescribed practical experience
  • certified copy of current certificate in Senior First Aid including CPR
  • a letter in support from the mine's Site Senior Executive
  • if you have a statutory certificate from outside Australia you should also submit your Certificate or a copy certified a true copy by a Justice of the Peace

You must sit both a 3 hour written exam in mining law and an oral exam in mining law and practice.

Transfer process

This certificate cannot be transferred to another person, but may be recognised in other Australian States under Mutual Recognition.

Additional information

Written examinations are held at various sites around Queensland on a monthly basis; oral examinations are held quarterly (February, May, August, November).

Refer to the Mining Safety and Health Advisory Committee website for other requirements.

Administering agency

Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy

Mine Safety and Health

Board of Examiners

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Secretary of the Board of Examiners

Board of Examiners

Mine Safety and Health

Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy

Phone: 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
Website: Department of Natural Resources and Mines (Opens in new window)