You require this licence if you intend to undertake work as a gas approval authority. There are 4 categories of gas device approval authority (GDAA):
- Type A - authority for conformity assessment bodies to approve type A gas devices
- Type A2 - authority to approve certain individual type A gas devices
- Type B - authority to approve type B gas devices that are not fuel gas refrigeration devices
- Type B2 - authority to approve fuel gas refrigeration devices.
Type A gas devices are used or designed to be used in either:
- the production of heat, light or power using fuel gas
- refrigeration for which fuel gas is the fuel
- as a propellant.
Type B gas devices are used or designed to be used in either:
- a manufacturing process if the device uses fuel gas
- a gas flare
- a thermal oxidiser
- other purposes not elsewhere defined.
All GDAA holders are required to comply with the 'Code of Practice - Gas device approval authority'.