To operate higher risk personal appearance services, your business should be designed and constructed to:
- be adequate for the types of services and activities conducted
- provide adequate space for all activities and for all equipment to be used or stored
- allow easy cleaning / sanitising and sterilising procedures of all structures and equipment.
Your premises must be designed so that the flow of service is in one direction: from product receipt, to storage, preparation, providing the customer with a service, and finally to disposal and / or sanitising and / or sterilising of equipment. This is to reduce the infection risks associated with the process.
Your business must also include:
- a clean zone within a room, or rooms, where clean or sterilised items are stored and a hand basin is located
- a dirty or contaminated zone within a room, or rooms, where contaminated items are placed to await cleaning, and where the cleaning sinks, instrument washers and sterilisers are located.
You may also require development approval if you are conducting the following activities:
- starting a new personal appearance service business
- changing the type of activity (e.g. from office space to tattooist)
- re-establishing a personal appearance service business that was abandoned
- changing the scale or intensity of an existing business (e.g. increasing the number of chairs or expanding into the next unit)
- carrying out building work
- carrying out plumbing or drainage work.