Generally, you will be allowed to operate your home business without further approval if you meet the following requirements:
- you live permanently in the home from which you want to operate the business
- you only employ one person who doesn't live in your home
- your business uses no more than 50m2 floor area
- you do not display goods or signs
- you do not hire out materials, goods, appliances or vehicles
- your business does not release any contaminant as defined in the Environmental Protection Act 1994, including noise
- your business does not impose greater requirements on any public utility (such as water or sewerage) than would be reasonable from a family home
- your business does not interfere with the amenity of the neighbourhood (e.g. through noise emission, vibration, smell, fumes, smoke, vapour, steam, soot, ash, dust, grit, oil, waste water, waste products, radio or electrical interference)
- your business results in only one person waiting at or near your premises at any time
- your business results in only one motor vehicle parked on the site or on the site's street frontage at any time
- your business results in only one weekly visit by a delivery vehicle with a maximum capacity of 2.5 tonnes
- your business operating hours are limited to 8am - 6pm Monday to Saturday (except for commercial guest or home stay accommodation).
More strict or other requirements may be imposed on you if you operate specific types of home businesses (e.g. accommodation or childcare).