Home based business/occupations - Queensland


Council plans establish minimum requirements for operating businesses from a residential property. As a general rule, home occupations or home businesses are permitted and do not require council approval when the business has no adverse impact on the environment or your neighbours.

Small home offices or family day care generally do not require council approval.

You no longer need to lodge a town planning application with council if your home business meets the following self-assessable standards in the Home business code.

For all business types

You live permanently in the home from which you want to operate the business.

Your home business:

  • employs only 1 person who doesnt live in your home
  • uses no more than 50m2 floor area
  • does not display goods or signs
  • does not hire out materials, goods, appliances or vehicles.

Your operation does not:

  • release any contaminant as defined in the Environmental Protection Act 1994, including noise
  • impose greater requirements on any public utility (such as water or sewerage) than would be reasonable from a family home
  • interfere with the amenity of the neighbourhood (e.g. through noise emission, vibration, smell, fumes, smoke, vapour, steam, soot, ash, dust, grit, oil, waste water, waste products, radio or electrical interference).

Your business results in:

  • only 1 person waiting at or near the premises at any time
  • only 1 motor vehicle parked on the site or on the sites street frontage at any time
  • only 1 weekly visit by a delivery vehicle with a maximum capacity of 2.5 tonnes
  • no repairing, servicing, cleaning or loading of motor vehicles.

Your business operating hours are limited to 8am-6pm Monday to Saturday (except for commercial guest or home stay accommodation).

For commercial guest or homestay accommodation in residential areas

Your business only involves accommodation for travellers for a short-term paid stay.

You accommodate a maximum of:

  • 4 home stay guests at any time
  • 6 people (residents and home-stay guests) at any time.

Your home-stay guests occupy a maximum of 2 bedrooms.

For commercial childcare home businesses in residential areas

You have no more than 7 pre-school children on the premises at any time, including the total number of children permanently living in the house and those for whom you care.

All home based businesses must comply with council policy.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Application process

Contact council for more information on the current application process and relevant form.

Administering agency

Local Council