Indigenous land lease - Queensland


You will need this lease if you intend to occupy Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander land.

To obtain a lease, you must apply to the trustee of the land (for example, the local Indigenous council). Land leases are primarily granted for homeownership, however the relevant trustee may agree to grant a lease for commercial purposes, at their discretion. Each trustee has their own process for lease applications, so contact them before applying.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

You may only apply for a lease if you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person or their spouse.


Up to 99 years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please contact the administering agency for information on fees to be submitted.

Other resources

Application process


To apply, complete the appropriate application form and send it to the relevant trustee.

If the trustee agrees to the lease, they will give you an agreement to lease. This outlines any conditions you must satisfy before the trustee will grant the lease. These could include the negotiation of an Indigenous land use agreement or survey of the land. The agreement to lease will also state the rent and other financial considerations, as well as any conditions that must be satisfied after the grant of the lease.

Once you have met the conditions, a lease document will be prepared to be signed by you and the trustee. This is the final agreement between you and the trustee and will be used to register the lease.

Administering agency

Department of Resources

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.