Individual trade contractor licence - contractor, nominee supervisors or site supervisor - Queensland


You require this licence if you are:

one of the following (regardless of the value of the work you undertake):

  • a building contractor or trade contractor performing building work in Queensland where the value of the work (including both labour and materials) exceeds $3,300.00 (including GST)
  • one of the following (regardless of the value of the work you undertake):
  • pest control operator (termite treatment only)
  • building design (all classes)
  • draftsman
  • fire protection (all classes)
  • plumber
  • drainer
  • gasfitter
  • complete residential building inspection.

Please note:

Unlicensed contractors are required to state in their advertisements for building work the value of work they are entitled to carry out without a licence.

Some examples of statements that comply with these requirements include:

  • cannot perform building work valued in excess of $3,300
  • cannot perform building work valued at more than $3,300
  • only work valued at $3,300 or less

A penalty applies for an unlicensed contractor who fails to make such a statement in an advertisement.

If an advertisement by an unlicensed person does not refer to any sort of building work, no statement is required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

You must provide evidence of:

  • Technical qualifications:

A relevant trade or qualification. If you have not completed an official trade apprenticeship or traineeship you may be able to meet the technical qualifications by obtaining a competency assessment or attaining skills recognition. TAFE Colleges or other Registered Training Organisations (RTO) may recognize prior learning or past experience as the equivalent of an approved course. For a comprehensive list of RTOs please visit

For skills recognition in most trades (apprenticeship trades only) contact Construction Skills Queensland 1800 798 488. However, for skills recognition in either Cabinetmaking or Floor Finishing and Covering contact Department of Education, Training and Employment (Skills Recognition Branch) 1300 369 935.

  • Managerial qualifications:

Completion of an approved managerial course. Courses are offered by TAFE, several industry associations and private providers. These courses are listed in the Fact Sheet "Approved Managerial Courses".

  • Experience requirements:

Two years suitable practical experience in the appropriate trade.

  • Financial requirements:

Financial requirements are set out in the 'Financial Requirements for Licensing' policy available from the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) Offices and the QBCC website


This licence remains in effect for one year from the date of issue. You will be issued with a renewal notice prior to expiry.

Application process

Trade contractor:

You must submit a completed Individual licence application form.

Even if you are licensed in another state, that licence does not permit you to perform building work in Queensland. You will need to apply for a Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) licence before you commence work in Queensland.

If you are applying under the Mutual Recognition Act 1992, you must submit a completed Mutual recognition application form to the Queensland Building and Construction Commission.

To apply under the Mutual Recognition Act 1992, you must be authorised to practice an occupation (equivalent to the Queensland occupation covered by this licence) in a participating state or territory under the Act. The interstate licence must remain current until the equivalent Queensland licence is issued.

Note: Applications will not be approved until all criteria are met so please ensure all the required documentation is included with your application.

To ensure your application will be processed please include the following application forms for a Trade contractor's licence (Individual).

  • Individual Licence Application Form
  • resume (detailing experience in the scope of work)
  • managerial qualification
  • technical qualification (completion certificate for apprenticeship or skills assessment
  • Mutual recognition licence application form (for individuals who hold a current licence in another state)
  • Proof of identity (if photo identification is not available)
  • Statutory declaration (for partnership agreement only)

Site Supervisor:

QBCC site supervisor licence was introduced on 21 December 2007. If you already hold an existing QBCC licence (either Contractor or Nominee Supervisor) you are not required to obtain a Site Supervisor licence as you are already able to supervise building work. You are only required to obtain a Site Supervisor licence if you intend on supervising building work outside your existing licence class.

You may need to supply any missing documents or information which requires further clarification after applying.


You cannot transfer this licence.

Administering agency

Queensland Building and Construction Commission

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Customer Contact Centre

Queensland Building and Construction Commission

Operating address: 299 Montague Road
West End
Queensland 4101
Mailing address: GPO Box 5099
Queensland 4001
Phone: 139 333
Fax: 07 3225 2999
Website: Queensland Building and Construction Commission (Opens in new window)