It is a legal requirement for all publishers to deposit a copy of each publication with the State Library of Queensland and with the Library of the Queensland Parliament within one month of publication. All Queensland publishers, including government departments, commercial organisations, clubs, churches, societies and private individuals, are required by law to deposit.
The following items are listed as materials that should be deposited:
- books, serial publications, sheet music, maps, plans and charts
- material considered to be published reproductions
- self-published works (both for public and private availability).
When depositing a publication:
- only one hard copy should be deposited
- if the publication is both electronic (e-) and print, then only the electronic copy should be deposited.
Deposited publications are not usually returned to the publisher.
Processing deposited publication may take some time, therefore it is not recommended that you delete any items from your system until you have received confirmation that your item(s) have been successfully deposited.