Licence or permit to store explosives - Queensland


You will need a licence or a permit if you intend to store, at a place stated in the licence, the explosives stated in the licence and possess the explosives for the purpose of storing them under the licence.

You can apply for a licence, permit or special permit. Licences authorise you to store explosives on an ongoing basis. Permits allow you to store explosives temporarily at a site for a short period due to unforeseen, unplanned or transitory reasons, or in relation to a permit to import or export explosives. A special permit to store explosives at an arms fair is also available.

The licence does not cover the import, export, transport, sale or use of explosives.

It is not required in the following circumstances:

  • You have another explosives licence that authorises the storage of the explosive.
  • You are storing explosives at a government reserve.
  • You are storing a limited quantity of exempt explosives.

You must keep the licence or permit, or a copy of the licence or permit, at the storage facility. Explosives may only be provided to a person who is authorised to possess the explosive.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be over 18 years of age
  • be an appropriate person
  • be able to read and understand the English language to the satisfaction of the Chief Inspector of Explosives.
  • comply with codes of practice and standards
  • for a licence or permit related to security sensitive explosives, the individual, directors, partners or nominated responsible person must hold a current security clearance.


1 or 5 years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

You can find the current fees here.

Application process


You can obtain this licence by submitting a completed application form to the Inspector of Explosives at the Department's nearest regional office.

This licence may be applied for by a person (person is defined as an individual or corporation (public company, private company, club, association, government agency or partnership).

If an individual is a person having an interest in a corporation and the corporation is the separate legal entity responsible for the intended explosives operations and activities, the individual must apply using the corporate licence application form. An individual who does not have an interest in a corporation would apply using the individual licence application form.

A corporation applying for this licence must:

  1. nominate an authorised person to act on behalf of the corporation and
  2. if non-publicly listed company, provide an Australian Securities and Investments Commission Extract showing the directors of the corporation
  3. if a publicly listed company, nominate a responsible person for explosives activities related to the company.

The following may also be required before your application is approved:

  • the Chief Inspector of Explosives may require further assessment of the applicant
  • the applicant's work status may require the provision of further information not outlined on the application form
  • an inspector may require an inspection of the storage magazine, procedures and controls and the premises from which the sale is conducted
  • the selling activity cannot commence until the licence is issued
  • for a licence or permit related to security sensitive explosives, the individual, directors, partners or nominated responsible person must hold a current security clearance.


The transfer of this licence will be allowed only with the prior approval of the Chief Inspector of Explosives. Each transfer is assessed and reviewed on a case by case basis by the Chief Inspector of Explosives. The applicant should contact the Explosives Inspectorate licensing officer to obtain information on how to apply for a transfer.

Additional information

The licence is conditional on the following requirements:

  • conduct inspections at least every 3 months and keep records of these inspections
  • keep a record of explosives received at, or supplied to a person from, a storage facility for your authority. Records must include the type and amount of explosive received or supplied, and the day and time they were received or supplied
  • record the name of the person who was supplied with the explosives and details of their licence or permit allowing them to possess the explosives
  • record the amount of explosives stored in the facility immediately after the receipt or supply
  • conduct stocktakes to determine the amount of explosives stored in a facility and identify any discrepancies. If you identify any discrepancies, you must properly investigate it and then give the Chief Inspector a written report stating the discrepancy, the findings of the investigation and the measures you've taken to stop it reoccurring
  • give the Chief Inspector notice of any material change to a storage facility or the facility's surrounding area if you know that the change increases the risk associated with the facility.

Administering agency

Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy

Explosives Inspectorate

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Explosives Licensing

Explosives Inspectorate

Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy

Operating address: Level 19
275 George Street
Brisbane, Queensland 4001
Mailing address: GPO BOX 1321
Brisbane, Queensland 4001
Phone: 07 3199 8023