Licence to sell explosives - Queensland


A licence to sell explosives is required for you to:

  • buy and sell certain explosives
  • store certain amounts of the explosives at a designated location.

It is not required in the following circumstances:

  • for Commonwealth explosives such as Department of Defence
  • for the following explosives:


  • an explosive sold by the chief inspector under section 125 Explosives Regulation 2017
  • collectors ammunition sold by a prescribed ammunition collector.
  1. an unrestricted firework
  2. an explosive designed to activate an air bag, seat belt, fire extinguisher or parachute
  3. a distress signal
  4. a power device cartridge
  5. small arms ammunition sold by a person who is a licensed firearms dealer under the Weapons Act 1990
  6. an explosive sold by a person (a "service provider") authorised to use the explosive if the service provider uses the explosive in the course of providing a service to another person; and
  7. the person to whom explosive is sold does not possess the explosive at any time:
    1. a blasting explosive used by the holder of a shotfirer licence in providing a blasting service to another person.
    2. a firework used by the holder of a fireworks operator licence for a fireworks display.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

You must:

  • be an adult
  • be able to read and understand the English language to the satisfaction of the Chief Inspector
  • be authorised to store explosives at the place of sale
  • for a licence or permit related to security sensitive explosives, the individual, directors, partners or nominated responsible person must hold a current security clearance.

The local council may have related requirements which must be met.


This licence is effective for a period of 1 year or 5 years from the date of approval.

Application process

You can obtain this licence by submitting a completed application form to the Inspector of Explosives at the Department's nearest regional office.

This licence may be applied for by a person (person is defined as an individual or corporation (public company, private company, club, association, government agency or partnership).

If an individual is a person having an interest in a corporation and the corporation is the separate legal entity responsible for the intended explosives operations and activities, the individual must apply using the corporate licence application form. An individual who does not have an interest in a corporation would apply using the individual licence application form.

A corporation applying for this licence must:

  1. nominate an authorised person to act on behalf of the corporation and
  2. if non-publicly listed company, provide an Australian Securities and Investments Commission Extract showing the directors of the corporation
  3. If a publicly listed company, nominate a responsible person for explosives activities related to the company.

The following may also be required before your application is approved:

  • the Chief Inspector of Explosives may require further assessment of the applicant under S15 (7)(c) of the Explosives Act 1999
  • the applicant's work status may require the provision of further information not outlined on the application form
  • an inspector may require an inspection of the storage magazine, procedures and controls and the premises from which the sale is conducted
  • the selling activity cannot commence until the licence is issued
  • for a licence or permit related to security sensitive explosives, the individual, directors, partners or nominated responsible person must hold a current security clearance.

Transfer process

S20 of the Explosives Act 1999 allows the transfer of this licence only with the prior approval of the Chief Inspector of Explosives.

Each transfer is assessed and reviewed on a case by case basis by the Chief Inspector of Explosives.

The applicant should contact the Explosives Inspectorate licensing officer to obtain information on how to apply for a transfer.

Administering agency

Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy

Explosives Inspectorate

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Manager, Explosives Licensing

Explosives Inspectorate

Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy

Mailing address: PO BOX 15216
City East, Queensland 4002
Phone: 07 3199 8023
Website: Explosives Inspectorate contact information (Opens in new window)