Licence to transport explosives - Queensland


A licence to transport explosives is required for you to transport large amounts of explosives.

If you transport an explosive in a vehicle, train or boat in a public area, you also need to comply with the:

  • Australian explosives code 3rd edition (AEC3) for a class 1 explosive
  • Australian dangerous goods code 7th edition (ADG7) for a class 2-9 explosive.

This licence is not required for:

  • transport of Commonwealth explosives such as Department of Defence
  • transport in a place that is not a public place by a person who is authorised to possess the explosive
  • for an explosive, other than an excluded explosive, transported by a person who is authorised to use the explosive
  • for collectors ammunition transported by a prescribed ammunition collector (any amount) Excluded explosive means an explosive other than:
  1.  an unauthorised or prohibited explosive
  2.  a schedule 5 explosive.


Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

You must:

  • be an adult
  • be an appropriate person as per Section 15 of the Explosives Act 1999
  • be able to read and understand the English language to the satisfaction of the Chief Inspector
  • comply with codes of practice and standards called up by the Explosives Act 1999.

The Department of Transport and Main Roads may have related requirements which must be met.


This licence is effective for a period of 1 year or 5 years after date of approval.


Refer to Apply for a licence to transport explosives in Other resources below.

Note: additional security fees will apply for new individual applicants including owners, directors, office bearers or any person having an interest in a corporation.

Application process

Submit a completed application with the appropriate fee by post or in person to an Explosives regional offices only.

This licence may be applied for by a person. A person is defined as an individual or corporation; public company, private company, club, association, government agency or partnership.

If an individual is a person having an interest in a corporation and the corporation is the separate legal entity responsible for the intended explosives operations and activities, the individual must apply using the corporate licence application form.

A corporation applying for this licence must:

  1. nominate an authorised person to act on behalf of the corporation; and
  2. if non-publicly listed company, provide completed security assessment applications and pay the relevant fees for each person having an interest in the company.

A corporation applying for this licence must (pay) nominate an authorised person to act on behalf of the corporation and if a non-publicly listed company must provide completed security assessment forms and pay the relevant fees for each person having an interest in the company.

The required items section of the application form outlines all prerequisite licensing requirements.

  • the Chief Inspector of Explosives may require further assessment of the applicant under S15 (8)(c) of the Explosives Act 1999
  • the applicants work status may require the provision of further information not outlined on the application form
  • the vehicle may be inspected for compliance with the relevant code(s) prior to recommendation to issue the licence
  • driver must possess a current (dangerous goods) drivers licence for this vehicle
  • driver must qualify to age limit depending on quantity of explosives to be carried
  • driver must be medically fit in accordance with the commercial vehicle drivers standard
  • vehicle must be covered by appropriate insurance as per the Australian Dangerous Goods Code and/or the Australian Explosives Code
  • the transport activity cannot commence until the licence is issued.

Transfer process

S20 of the Explosives Act 1999 allows the transfer of this licence only with the prior approval of the Chief Inspector of Explosives.

Each transfer is assessed and reviewed on a case by case basis by the Chief Inspector of Explosives.

The applicant should contact the Explosives Inspectorate licensing officer to obtain information on how to apply for a transfer.

Administering agency

Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy

Explosives Inspectorate

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Manager, Explosives Licensing

Explosives Inspectorate

Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy

Operating address: Level 19
275 George Street
Brisbane City, Queensland 4000
Mailing address: PO BOX 15216
City East, Queensland 4002
Phone: 07 3199 8023
Website: Explosives Inspectorate contact information (Opens in new window)