Licence to use explosives - Queensland


You will need this licence to use explosives for specialised uses as stated on the licence, including:

  • dynamic breaching operations training
  • explosives testing
  • metal forming, and research & development
  • official police duties
  • fireworks testing
  • down-hole perforating
  • demolition
  • training purposes.

This licence allows you to use, purchase, store and transport the explosive in limited quantities.

A specific licence is available for those wanting to use, store and transport security-sensitive ammonium nitrate (SSAN) for agricultural purposes, production processes and laboratories.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence or permit, you must:

  • be a corporation, listed corporation or a partnership
  • be an appropriate person
  • be able to read and understand the English language to the satisfaction of the Chief Inspector of Explosives
  • comply with codes of practice and standards
  • for a licence or permit related to security sensitive explosives, the individual, directors, partners or nominated responsible person must hold a current security clearance.


One or five years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Licence All $68.95

Per year. Fees for 2023-24

Apply Licence All $344.75

Per five years. Fees for 2023-24

Application process


You can obtain this licence by submitting a completed application form to the Inspector of Explosives at the Department's nearest regional office.

This licence may be applied for by a person, which is defined as an individual or corporation, public company, private company, club, association, government agency or partnership.

If an individual is a person having an interest in a corporation and the corporation is the separate legal entity responsible for the intended explosives operations and activities, the individual must apply using the corporate licence application form. An individual who does not have an interest in a corporation would apply using the individual licence application form.

A corporation applying for this licence must:

  1. nominate an authorised person to act on behalf of the corporation and
  2. if non-publicly listed company, provide an Australian Securities and Investments Commission Extract showing the directors of the corporation
  3. if a publicly listed company, nominate a responsible person for explosives activities related to the company.

The following may also be required before your application is approved:

  • the Chief Inspector of Explosives may require further assessment of the applicant
  • the applicant's work status may require the provision of further information not outlined on the application form
  • an inspector may require an inspection of the storage magazine, procedures and controls and the premises from which the sale is conducted

Transfer process


The transfer of this licence will be allowed only with the prior approval of the Chief Inspector of Explosives. Each transfer is assessed and reviewed on a case by case basis by the Chief Inspector of Explosives. The applicant should contact the Explosives Inspectorate licensing officer to obtain information on how to apply for a transfer.

Administering agency

Resources Safety and Health Queensland

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.