Livestock travel and grazing permit - Flinders Shire Council - Queensland


You will need a permit to move or graze livestock along the stock route network. The stock route network is a series of roads where the movement of livestock is allowed. Camping and water reserves, pasture reserves, trucking reserves and government-controlled land can also form part of the stock route network.

You will need to contact the council for a copy of their stock route network management plan.

Livestock can include alpacas, asses, camels, cattle, donkeys, goats, horses, llamas, mules, sheep or vicunas.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


You will not require a permit when moving stock between properties if you:

  • the properties are owned by the same landowner and worked as a single enterprise
  • travel occurs during a single day in daylight hours
  • travel is for animal husbandry or property management purposes only.

You do not require a permit to transport stock by truck or rail, but there will be other legal requirements you will need to comply with.

Eligibility requirements

Any livestock owner or their authorised agent can apply for a livestock travel permit. You must ensure you have also applied for a livestock movement record.

You are eligible for a livestock grazing permit if you either:

  • are a landowner whose land is adversely affected by drought, fire or flood
  • hold a livestock travel permit and intend to temporarily cease travelling to brand, crutch, dip, drench, jet or truck the stock
  • are spelling the stock to comply with an obligation imposed by animal welfare legislation
  • are responding to a notice by council inviting applications for grazing of stock.

If you are moving infant stock (less than six months old), your application must that demonstrate that any infants are travelling with, and reliant on, their mother.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

You must create a livestock movement record if you are moving stock between properties in Queensland. A livestock movement record identifies the owner of the animals being moved, describes the animals being moved and provides details of the movement. The purpose of a movement record is to allow animals to be traced in the event of a disease.


Grazing permits issued for travelling livestock are valid for seven days and cannot be renewed. Permits for non-travelling stock are valid for 28 days and can be renewed once only.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All -

Stock route agistment permit - large stock (per head, per week). Minimum fee of $1.22, maximum fee of $2.95 per head per week. Fees for 2021-22

Apply Application All -

Stock route agistment permit - maximum fee for small stock (per head, per week). Minimum fee of $0.11 or maximum fee of $0.47 per head per week. Fees for 2021-22

Apply Application All $0.02

Stock route travel permit - maximum fee for large stock (per kilometre, per 20 head or part of 20 head). Fees for 2021-22

Apply Application All $0.02

Stock route travel permit - small stock (per kilometre, per 100 head or part of 100 head). Fees for 2021-22

Lodgement process


You are not required to reside in the council area where the application is submitted.

You will need to lodge your application a specified time beforehand:

  • If you are applying for travelling stock, you must lodge your application three days before the proposed grazing period.
  • If you are applying for non-travelling stock, you must allow seven days for your application to be processed.

Disqualified persons or entities

You are not eligible to apply for a livestock grazing permit if you have held a grazing permit for the land in the three months immediately before the date of application.

Administering agency

Flinders Shire Council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Flinders Shire Council

Operating address: 34 Gray Street
Hughenden, Queensland 4821
Mailing address: PO BOX 274
Hughenden, Queensland 4821
Phone: 07 4741 2900
Fax: 07 4741 1741
Website: Flinders Shire Council (Opens in new window)