Marine park activity permit - Queensland


You need this permit to carry out commercial or developmental activities in Queensland marine parks. In general, permits cover activities such as development and construction works, mariculture (also known as marine farming), commercial collecting and tourism (including whale watching).

If you are going to undertake commercial activities within the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area, this permit will be issued jointly with the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this permit, you must have the following insurance:

  • workers compensation insurance or equivalent
  • public liability insurance for $20 million
  • any other activity-specific insurance and indemnity requirements.

If you would like to discuss your proposed activity before you apply, you can request a free pre-lodgement meeting.


This permit remains in effect for a specified term depending on the type of permit, type of activity and the risk to marine parks.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please contact the administering agency for information on fees to be submitted.


Transfer process


This permit can be transferred. The proposed transferee must submit an online application form with a signed letter or email stating their intention to receive or purchase the permit. The current permit holder must also submit a signed letter or email stating their intention to transfer or sell the permit.

Approval time

60 business days

Administering agency

Department of Environment and Science

Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.