You will need this licence if you intend to provide mechanical services related to air-conditioning and refrigeration. You can apply for this licence in 3 classes: unlimited design, limited design and occupational.
Limited and unlimited design licences will allow you to undertake the following building work:
- constructing, installing, replacing, repairing, altering, maintaining, testing or commissioning a mechanical ventilation system in a building
- mechanical services work involving a relevant activity
- installation of fire collars that is incidental to work mentioned above.
A relevant activity means constructing, installing, replacing, repairing, altering, maintaining, testing or commissioning any of the following for a building:
- air handling systems
- equipment in which a refrigerant gas is to be used
A limited licence allows you to design and prepare plans and specification for air-conditioning and mechanical ventilation and air handling systems for a building, provided the building is no more than 3 storeys, 2000 metres squared and the plant capacity for any one system for the building is no more than 34kW. An unlimited licence is not limited by these constraints. Both licences require the prepared specifications and plans to be used for the licensee's personal use and in the building work performed by the licensee personally.
You can apply for this licence as a:
- contractor - allows you to perform, supervise and enter into contracts for building work
- company - allows a company to contract for and perform building work, provided a person is nominated as a supervisor
- nominee supervisor - allows you to supervise work on behalf of a licensed company, but not to perform building work
- site supervisor - allows you to supervise work on behalf of a licensed contractor, but not to perform building work.