Mineral development licence - Queensland


You will require this licence if you intend to carry out further studies of a resource and to assess the development potential of a site, once you have discovered that minerals or coals exist in your resource authority area. This licence allows you to undertake all activities permitted under an exploration resource authority, as well as:

  • conduct feasibility studies, geoscientific (for example drilling, seismic surveys), metallurgical testing and environmental studies
  • carry out engineering design studies
  • carry out marketing, environmental, engineering and design studies to evaluate the development potential of the defined resource.

You will be required to obtain the appropriate environmental authority. You will also need to address any native title requirements before the agency grants you authority.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible, you must either:

  • have a current exploration permit or a previous mineral development licence at time of application for that area
  • be at least 18 years of age
  • be a registered company.


Up to 5 years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $2887.44

Fees for 2024-25

Apply Miscellaneous All -

Annual rental rates for mineral development licences, per hectare:

  • year 1 - $4.93
  • year 2 - $10.12
  • year 3 - $15.53
  • year 4 - $26.77
  • after 4 years - $32.22.

Fees for 2024-25

Other resources

Application process


You may make an application for a mineral development licence electronically using the MyMinesOnline system. Alternatively you may complete the application form and submit with any attachments and the prescribed fee at a Mines lodgement office.

Transfer process


This licence can be transferred upon grant. The transferee must be at least 18 years of age or a registered company.

Administering agency

Department of Resources

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.