Mining claim - Queensland


This claim is required by small miners to prospect for minerals and hand mine on an area of land of one hectare or less using permitted equipment only.

Prohibited machinery must not be used for prospecting or hand mining on land in a mining claim.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


This claim remains in effect for up to 5 years. Application for renewal must be made 6 to 12 months prior to expiry of the claim.


See Mining claim in other resources below.


Task Business Structure Resources
Common All Application for Mining Claim - PDF (Opens in new window)

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Common All Mining claim (Opens in new window)

Application process

You may make an application for a mining lease electronically using the MyMinesOnline system. Alternatively you may complete the the application form and submit with any attachments and the prescribed fee at a Mines lodgement office.


This claim can be transferred.

The new claim holder must:

  • be an adult
  • if a company, comply with the meaning under Corporations Law
  • not hold more than two mining claims in Queensland

This permit can be transferred by requesting an Application for an indication of the approval of a assessable transfer (Form MMOL-04) by all holders, then submitting a completed Application for Approval of an assessable transfer (Form MMOL-05) or a Request to register non-assessable transfer (Form MMOl-07) direct to the district office.

The mining registrar will advise of any processing requirements

Additional information

Native title considerations could affect the grant of a mining claim - to be considered on a case by case basis.

It is important that clients deal directly with their district office to obtain up to date accurate advice on the requirements of the Mineral Resources Act and associated policies and procedures and any specific requirements for that district.

Administering agency

Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy

Service Delivery

Mining and Petroleum Operations

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Mining and Petroleum Operations

Service Delivery

Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy

Phone: 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
Website: Department of Natural Resources and Mines (Opens in new window)