You need this licence if you intend to work as a motor dealer. This licence will allow you to:
- sell a used vehicle (including its parts)
- obtain a used vehicle (including vehicle parts) to sell, either as a complete unit or in parts
- sell a used vehicle on behalf of another person (on consignment)
- sell a leased vehicle to the lessee under the terms of the lease
- negotiate on another person's behalf for that person to buy or sell a used motor vehicle.
You may not conduct any number of trades before you get your licence. It is an offence to operate as a motor dealer while unlicensed.
The only exception to this rule is if:
- you are offering a vehicle for sale as a private individual (not as a business operator or employee)
- the sale is not a part of a business operation (for instance, making a sale for the purpose of earning profit).
You may not auction any vehicles or other goods without a chattel auctioneer licence.