You must notify the agency at least 5 days before starting any demolition work. This includes any demolition;
- of any structure or part of a structure that is load bearing or otherwise related to the physical integrity of a structure (only if it is six metres or more in height)
- involving load shifting machinery on a suspended floor
- involving explosives.
If you intend to take on any emergency demolition work involving asbestos, you must notify WHSQ immediately after you become aware of the emergency and before starting the demolition work. This applies to the emergency demolition of;
- any building constructed before 31 December 1989
- any non-building structure constructed or installed before 31 December 2003 if there are reasonable grounds to believe asbestos is installed in the structure
- plant constructed or installed before 31 December 2003 if there are reasonable grounds to believe asbestos is installed in the plant.
An emergency occurs when a structure or plant is structurally unsound or collapse of the structure or plant is imminent.