Outdoor dining permit - Western Downs Regional Council - Queensland


You will need this permit if you intend to offer dining on the public footpath outside your food premises. You may need this permit if you intend to operate sidewalk cafes, takeaway food stores or convenience stores with tables and chairs.

You must ensure there is a clear pedestrian thoroughfare when planning your outdoor dining activity.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

You will need to determine if you require planning approval, which is required for these activities:

  • starting a new outdoor dining activity
  • re-establishing outdoor dining that has been abandoned
  • changing the intensity of existing outdoor dining
  • changing the scale of an existing business
  • building work.

You may also need the following before applying for an outdoor dining permit:

  • advertising signs licence
  • food business licence
  • liquor licence
  • public liability insurance.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

Council is required to monitor the standard of operations in businesses with outdoor dining and this is achieved through a regular inspection program.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $120.10

Fees for 2021-22

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Example plan - DOC (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Local Government Act 2009 Queensland

Application process


Application process:

  • Submit your outdoor dining application and plans using the approved form.
  • Your local council will process your application within the legislative or agreed time frame.
  • Your local council may inspect the premises before making a decision.
  • When your local council approves your application, you can commence business in accordance with the approved conditions.

Lodgement process


To assess the suitability of your premises, you are required to submit:

  • a plan of the layout to a suitable scale showing the intended location of tables, chairs and all other equipment
  • coloured photographs or brochures of the furniture, accessories, or fittings you intend to place on the footpath, as well as coloured photograph/s of the site frontage of the area.

Transfer process


If you intend to take over an existing outdoor dining activity you may apply for a search for information on the current outdoor dining activity and the conditions of approval. This process may require written permission from the vendor.

If you intend to make changes to an existing outdoor dining activity you must contact your local council prior to commencing work.

Additional information

If your business serves alcohol you must have a liquor licence. Council reserves the right to object any liquor licence application, regardless of approval for outdoor dining.

Administering agency

Western Downs Regional Council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Western Downs Regional Council

Operating address: 30 Marble Street
Dalby, Queensland 4405
Mailing address: PO BOX 551
Dalby, Queensland 4405
Phone: 1300 268 624
Fax: 07 4679 4099
Email: info@wdrc.qld.gov.au
Website: Western Downs Regional Council (Opens in new window)